The National Smokejumper Association Colorado Chapter site for information on trail and work projects taking place in Colorado. Maintained by Bill Ruskin (CJ '58).

Monday, August 01, 2005

NSA /CTF September Project Update



Just returned from the NSA Grand Jean project and it was a "grand time" working with smokejumpers from nine states in the magnificent Sawtooths. Beautiful weather, great food, hard work and in the sack by 9:30 (and it was still light!) Did we have fun or what? On return I sent an email to George Miller of the CTF requesting some specifics on the remaining NSA trail project for 2005. Apparently George is out wandering around on the Colorado Trail and I received the following response from Stan Ward a CTF volunteer who was with us last year and responded for George:
Bill,
Unfortunately, no one but George knows the wheres and whats of the forthcoming NSA crew. All I know is that it will be a series of small projects near Leadville, presumably at pretty high elevations - say, about 11,000 feet.
I am leaving August 9 and will no return until the end of the month. So, sorry to say, I'm not of much help.
But, I can assure you that we will have paper plates and utensils with us this year! Also, Sue was in Montana with Hal and I suspect they worked out some menu ideas.
I guess we all will have to wait on George's return.
Stan
"Tis a privilege to live in Colorado"
From what George Told me earlier in the summer the NSA crew will be working out of a base camp in a beautiful camping area. We will break up into crews and work on numerous water mitigation projects including more bridges but none the size we built over Cochitopa Creek last September. Hiking will be minimal and we won't have a 'hole" to descend into and climb out of each day..
If you are signed up for the Colorado Project, check this blog weekly for updates. I'll post information as I get it from the CTF and George Miller. If you are not signed up, it's not too late to join us for a great project in the Colorado high country.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?